Jump start your toast with an eloquent and moving reflection on marriage, love, or soul-binding. Need inspiration? Here are 30 quotes to ponder -- integrate the words into your own original speech ("As Shakespeare said..."; "In the words of the poet Nikki Giovanni..."), relating them to bride and groom. The idea is to get the crowd to feel the universal significance and emotional impact of the words.
1. May your love be like the misty rain, gentle coming in but flooding the river.
-- Traditional African
2. Insomuch as love grows in you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul.
-- St. Augustine
3. We never live so intensely as when we love strongly. We never realize ourselves so vividly as when we are in full glow of love for others.
-- Walter Rauschenbusch
4. To love someone deeply gives you strength. Being loved by someone deeply gives you courage.
-- Lao Tzu
5. Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
6. One word
Frees us of all the weight and pain of life:
That word is love.
7. Night and day you are the one,
Only you beneath the moon and under the sun.
-- Cole Porter
8. At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.
9. Love is a fire that feeds our life.
-- Pablo Neruda
10. Love is friendship set to music.
11. Marriage is like a golden ring in a chain, whose beginning is a glance and whose ending is eternity.
-- Kahlil Gibran
12. The strongest and sweetest songs
yet remain to be sung.
-- Walt Whitman
13. We are each other's harvest; we are each other's business; we are each other's magnitude and bond.
-- Gwendolyn Brooks
14. In our life there is a single color, as on an artist's palette, which provides the meaning of life and art. It is the color of love.
-- Marc Chagall
15. We love because it's the only true adventure.
-- Nikki Giovanni
16. We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for.
-- John Keating, in Dead Poets Society (1989)
17. They do not love that do not show their love.
18. When people care for you and cry for you, they can straighten out your soul.
-- Langston Hughes
19. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
-- Emily Bronte
20. That love is all there is
Is all we know of love.
-- Emily Dickinson
21. A great flame follows a little spark.
-- Dante Alighieri
22. There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved.
-- George Sand
23. Without love, the world itself would not survive.
-- Lope de Vega
24. When love reigns, the impossible may be attained.
-- Indian proverb
25. Love is life.
-- Leo Tolstoy
26. Love is a canvas furnished by nature and embroidered by imagination.
27. Love is a moment that lasts forever.
28. Love is all you need.
-- John Lennon/Paul McCartney
29. A good marriage is that in which each appoints the other guardian of his solitude.
-- Rainer Maria Rilke
30. May your dreams ride on the wings of angels who know their way home to the skies.
See More: Wedding Reception Ideas