Want to start your toast with a bang? We've collected 25 quotes on love, marriage, and the union of two souls. Read on to find the perfect words.
1. Marriage, n. The state or condition of a community consisting of a master, a mistress, and two slaves, making in all, two.
-- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary," 1911
2. Marriage is a great institution, but I'm not ready for an institution.
-- Mae West
3. One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
4. Love is blind -- marriage is the eye-opener.
-- Pauline Thomason
5. I think men who have a pierced ear are better prepared for marriage. They've experienced pain and bought jewelry.
-- Rita Rudner
6. To keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup, whenever you're wrong, admit it; whenever you're right, shut up.
-- Ogden Nash
7. A good marriage is at least 80 percent good luck in finding the right person at the right time. The rest is trust.
-- Nanette Newman
8. Politics doesn't make strange bedfellows, marriage does.
-- Groucho Marx
9. The absolute yearning of one human body for another particular body and its indifference to substitutes is one of life's major mysteries.
-- Iris Murdoch
10. Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it.
Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it.
Hatred darkens life; love illumines it.
-- Martin Luther King, Jr.
11. Immature love says: "I love you because I need you." Mature love says: "I need you because I love you."
-- Erich Fromm
12. Love does not consist in gazing at each other, but in looking outward together in the same direction.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
13. A good marriage is like a casserole, only those responsible for it really know what goes in it.
14. To love is to suffer. To avoid suffering one must not love. But then one suffers from not loving. Therefore, to love is to suffer; not to love is to suffer; to suffer is to suffer. To be happy is to love. To be happy, then, is to suffer, but suffering makes one unhappy. Therefore, to be happy one must love or love to suffer or suffer from too much happiness.
-- Woody Allen
15. Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge
16. Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you have.
-- Rabbi H. Schachtel
17. And now here is my secret, a very simple secret; it is only with the heart that one can see rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.
-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery
18. Marriage is the golden ring in a chain whose beginning is a glance and whose ending is Eternity.
-- Kahlil Gibran
19. Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate.
-- Barnett Brickner
20. There is no more lovely, friendly, and charming relationship, communion, or company than a good marriage.
-- Martin Luther
21. A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person.
-- Mignon McLaughlin
22. Marriage should be a duet -- when one sings, the other claps.
-- Joe Murray
23. The great secret of successful marriage is to treat all disasters as incidents and none of the incidents as disasters.
-- Sir Harold George Nicolson
24. Love is the lifespring of our existence. The more love you give, the happier you feel and the more love you will have within you to give.
-- Susan L. Taylor
25. Love one another, but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Groomsmen, click here!